Friday, December 31, 2010

Russian Tea Cake Cookies (Cookie Day #9)


I am so back logged on blogging!!! So many fun things have happened since my last post and I know I need to just take some time and catch up! Bill is studying, Sawyer is napping, it's snowing lightly and there is nothing that absolutely needs to get done today....except for blogging!

It seems like ages ago that I was bustling around the kitchen with six little red aprons in toe. I have had over a week off for the holidays and while it's been a much needed treat of sleeping in and lounging around, I really miss my Day Care kiddos! I can't wait for all the exciting stories they will bring tucked in their pockets and stuffed in their bags of sledding, gifts, Santa, cousins, church and wintery fun!

Well, before the kids left for winter break, we made Russian Tea Cake Cookies that are a favorite at our house! I was excited to share the cookies with the kids and have a dusting of confectioner's sugar coating every surface of the kitchen! When I looked into my flour canister, much to my dismay, I didn't have any white flour left! UGH! but way in the back of our pantry was some whole wheat flour. "Oh, I can totally just substitute whole wheat for white flour. I do it all the time with homemade bread!" thought I.

Alright folks, listen up because a nugget of culinary knowledge is about to be bestowed upon you:

You CANNOT substitute whole wheat flour for white flour when making Russian Tea Cake Cookies!

....because if you do, they come out a crumbly, heavy, chewy ball that no amount of confectioners sugar can remedy. So, that batch promptly got tossed in the trash and after a quick run to the store by my wonderful husband, we produced some gorgeously perfect cookies! Yummy!

No comments: