Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Roof




The world seems to have opened up to Raylan now that he can pull himself up on things. All the places that were previously 'Raylan safe' where we could set down our coffee mugs, cell phones, ipads and cans of Mountain Dew are safe no more! He watches like hawk as you put something down and then makes a beeline for it, and before you know it, this chubby little hand is grabbing away!  


As you can imagine, the Day Care kids really enjoy his new found skill. (They are only smiling about it because they knew I was taking a picture! Usually it's, "Baby Raylan, NOOOOO!!! Nooo Baby!") But I just love those tiny little tippy toes!


The boogie sucker and the hair tie.....the two things that mommy doesn't like me to play with. One, because it's just gross and the other because I could choke. But somehow, I managed to find both of them yesterday afternoon, retreat to my room where I could play with them both and not get caught for a while.


Story of the Day:
Act 1: The Glove.

 Let's set the stage: I am inside, trying to wrangle my Day Care kids because their parents are expected any minute to pick them up. The front door is open, screen door shut. Sawyer is outside playing with his buddies, Nathan and Josh. Somehow Nathan's glove ends up on the roof. 

"Mooooooooom! Nathan's glove is on the roof!"

"Just leave it up there and Daddy will get it down when he get's home!"
.......
A few minutes later I glance out the front door to see that our big garbage can has been pulled up to the front step, with a bucket on top and my son is HALF WAY ON THE ROOF! Yes, you read that right. I fly outside and hank him down. 

"What are you doing?!?!?!"

"I was just getting the glove down...."

Oh my heavenly days....I thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest. The thought of him falling off our roof will haunt my dreams forever! (Yes we proceeded to have a talk about obeying my instructions, making good choices and always staying off the roof.)
But really, with a thrill seeking husband like Bill, why does this even surprise me??

(I decided to reset the scene to give you a visual)
Act 2: The Nursing.
Let's set the stage once again: I have just had the scare of my life with my child dangling from the roof and we have just come back inside after our 'Stay off the roof' talk. I walk into the living room to hear Raylan grunting and squawking. I look over to see one of my Day Care kids, Charlotte (4yrs old, who's mom just had a baby last week.) with her shirt pulled up, Raylan pressed up against her chest and a little blanket covering him up. 

"Charlotte, what are you doing???"

"Just nursing my baby!"  
.......

What a day we had! It's days like this that keep you on your toes and your heart solely trusting that God is going to keep your children alive and well! The guardian angles got their work out today! Thank you Lord or your hand of protection and your sense of HUMOR!

No comments: