Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Renaissance Fair

Was my last post really Easter?!? Sweet Lord I'm behind! "Better late than never!" says all the procrastinators around the world. A few weeks ago we went to a Renaissance Fair a little ways out of town with Nana Kathy. The weather was just starting to be nice and warm and the smell of roasted turkey legs hung in the air!
The gleam in Sawyer's eye as he locked me up was a little too menacing for comfort!

There were quite a few side shows that went on all day and the first one we hit was the never-ending-embarrassingly-bad-belly-dancing show.....that's fifteen minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I tried my hand at some bow and arrows....not my calling but at least I didn't injure anyone.

We made it just in time for the Jousting Tournament! It was Sir Arthur vs. Judas the Rebel. We ended up sitting with the Judas crowd and had a sinking feeling that this was going to be a landslide. Sir Arthur always wins! It felt a little sacrilegious sitting in the stands the weekend after Easter, chanting, "Judas! Judas! Judas!" It was actually VERY well done! Middle age men standing on top of their horses and jumping off on top of each other was a lot more entertaining than I thought it was going to be! And wouldn't you believe it that Judas WON! Hail to the Rebels!

Afterwards we went up to meet the victor and his trusty steed.

Of course we had to make a stop at the Homemade Root Beer stand. The root beer and cream soda was served in these awesome glass jugs!

Bottoms up!

Bill spent the day chugging out of his boot leg whiskey jug and Sawyer just whacked everything he saw with his wooden sword. Good times.

In the forest blowing bubbles.














We made clay pots, ground wheat into flour, threw knives, shopped for handmade jewelry, and I made some rope! You never know when you might need to know how to make some good rope :)

Being there for the day was just CAPTIVATING! (Oh yes I did just say that!)
It was a fun-filled spring day to spend with Nana Kathy*


1 comment:

Jane's Junk said...

It looks like you all had a great time. What fun!!