Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Brazil: Part 1

As most of you know, my mom was diagnosed with stage two cancer a few months ago and has undergone surgery. She will be beginning treatment as soon as she has completely healed. We were all quite shocked that she would end her time in Brazil like this, but God knows what he's doing!! Before any of this had happened, we had planned that Raylan and I would come down for a short visit and that my mom would move back to the US with us. Well, obviously plans changed because of her health but we went on our trip anyways!


I was a bit nervous about traveling alone with Raylan, but he was a CHAMP! Our first flight to Chicago, he just stood on my lap and opened and shut the window shade the ENTIRE time. Literally the entire time. 


Wish this was a beautiful silhouette of me with our plane in the background. But it's not. Just some random woman.


Raylan crawling around before we board the flight to Brazil.


When they saw that I was traveling with a child, they moved me up to sit by the bulkhead, which made sleeping arrangements so much easier. The flight attendants made him this little bed out of like ten blankets and he slept right on the floor! 
He was like the prince and the pea!


We woke up in a terrific mood!


Watching a bit of morning TV before we landed. 


It was so great to see my mom and be back to my old stomping grounds again. I grew up on the PACA campus and every time I go back things feel the exact same but totally different as well. Raylan loved playing on the pre-school play ground.


On  Saturday evening the school hosted a wonderful reception for my mom to commemorate her forty years of service! There were TONS of people there for the reception and ceremony! They had a worship time, a video of people thanking her and then of course time for people to share stories and thank her. 


At the end of the year assembly she had received many different awards-teacher of the year, epcial recognition from ACSI ect...because she is the BEST obviously! The faculty, staff and student body were all represented on this gorgeous quilt that they made for her too! It was a wonderful evening to celebrate her and all that she has accomplished in Brazil!


Sunday was like stepping back in time and doing exactly what we did every week growing up. Coffee at Santa Marcelina. Church. Lunch at Calhandras. Back to Santa Marcelina for coffee and dessert. Perfection. 



Oranges, anyone?
More to come on the rest of our trip!

1 comment:

Anitinha said...

Carrie-- I loved reading about your journey with Raylan to Brasil. I am praying for your mama! She is amazing and so loved. Big hugs to you and your family! Beijão!